06 October 2020
Postal history is the study and collecting of letters (known as 'covers'), with particular interest paid to how the mail has travelled through the postal system, and why specific stamps, postmarks and other markings were added to the envelope
Postal history broadly covers the following aspects of the postal system:
- Postal rates – which therefore usually concerns the stamps used
- Postal routes – how the cover travelled from sender to recipient
- Markings – the postmarks and notation added to a cover during its journey
The term 'postal history' is said to have been coined by philatelist, author and dealer Robson Lowe, and the area of study gained recognition much later than stamp collecting which was popular by the end of the 19th century.
Want to know more about collecting postal history and stamps?
Sign up to the free allaboutstamps newsletter right now and we'll send you tips, advice, offers and more.
How is postal history different to stamp collecting?
Postal history and philately (the study of stamps) are very closely related. Many stamp collectors will start collecting a specific stamp or set of stamps, before moving on to collect examples of those stamps 'on cover', and so they soon add postal history items to their collection, thus showing the stamps in mint and used condition.
What types of postal history are there?
There are many different subjects within postal history, with collectors focussing on a particular aspect of the postal system, these include:
- Local postal history – collecting only covers sent to or from a particular location
- Postal routes – the study of mail sent along a specific railway or canal for example
- Transport method – covers sent by train (mail rail), plane, zeppelin, rocket
- Marcophily – the study of postmarks, cancellations and postal markings
- Military mail – those letters sent during wartime
- Censored mail – often related to military mail
- Pre-stamp postal history – the study and collection of covers sent before stamps were invented
Where can I find out more about postal history?
- Browse and buy - click here to see postal history items currently for sale on eBay…
- Read the dedicated postal history guides to find out more and explore this fascinating field of study.
- Find a postal history dealer in our 'Find a Dealer' directory.
Don't miss the popular 'Postal History by County' and 'Cover Explained' articles in every issue of Stamp Collector magazine.