29 May 2019
As the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup begins, Royal Mail have unveiled ten special edition postboxes honouring the glorious game of cricket in each of the tournament’s host cities and towns…
Located in London (Lord’s Stadium), Manchester, Nottingham, Chester-Le-Street, Cardiff, Bristol, Southampton, Birmingham, Taunton and Leeds, each postbox is adorned with fascinating cricket-related facts connected to the area.
They are either located close to the host stadium or centrally in their respective city and will be decorated for the duration of the tournament.
Mark Street, Head of Campaigns at Royal Mail said:
“We take the opportunity to celebrate Great British traditions where we can, and what better occasion than the honour of being the host nation for the Cricket World Cup. We are delighted to honour this quintessentially British sport and important occasion on our iconic postboxes.”
Paul Smith, Director of City and Spectator Experience ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019, added:
“This is a fantastic activation that will help bring the tournament to life in our host cities. We saw the amazing interest around the Olympic Games postboxes and we expect these versions to do the same thing.
“We have worked hard to deliver a World Cup atmosphere outside of the cricketing stadiums with our free to enter fanzones and city activations and this is another great way of engaging members of the public in this amazing tournament.”
The postboxes are situated in the following locations:
- London (close to Lord’s Cricket Stadium): St. John’s Wood Road, London, NW8 8QN
- Southampton: Above Bar Street, Southampton, SO14 7DS
- Manchester: 19 Princess Street, Manchester, M1 4DA
- Cardiff: 29 Queen Street, Cardiff, CF10 2AH
- Nottingham: 19 Angel Row, Nottingham, NG1 6HP
- Chester-Le-Street: Front Street, Chester-Le-Street, DH3 3BQ
- Leeds: 3-7 King Edward Street, Leeds, LS1 6BT
- Birmingham: New Street, Birmingham, B2 4HD
- Bristol: 33 Wine Street, Bristol, BS1 2BQ
- Taunton: 37 North Street, Taunton, TA1 1LW