04 June 2021
No peeking! Here are the answers to the philatelic quiz, see how many you got right!
How many did you get right? Find out here with the answers to stamp quiz #3.
Stamp Quiz # 4 Answers
- When was The Society For The Suppression Of Speculative Stamps formed?
ANSWER: The Society for the Suppression of Speculative Stamps (S.S.S.S.) was formed on 6 May 1895.
- Why was the colour of the GB QEII 2d red-brown of 1955 altered to light red-brown?
ANSWER: To deter re-use for postal purposes of the red-brown 2d after it had been written across in ink as a receipt stamp. The ink showed more clearly on a light red-brown stamp.
- Which two of the four stamps in the GB 1955 Castles set have a stretch of water in the vignette scene?
ANSWER: 2s6d and 5s (Carrickfergus Castle and Caernarvon Castle)
- In which year was the first GB £1 postage stamps issued, and what was its colour?
ANSWER: In 1878, and the colour was brown-lilac.
- What were the two values and colours of the GB Festival of Britain stamps issued in May 1951?
ANSWER: 2½d scarlet and 4d ultramarine.
- In which year was Sudan’s Arab Postman stamp first issued?
- Four portraits feature on the St Helena 10s postage stamp of 1934. Who are they?
ANSWER: William IV; Victoria; Edward VII; George V
- In which two years were the British Empire Exhibition postage stamps issued?
ANSWER: 1924 and 1925
- The work of which British artist featured on the QEII 1967 1s 6d postage stamp?
- Which country issued an Art Deco carrier pigeon stamp in the 1930s?
Get stamp articles direct to your in-box…
SIGN UP TO THE FREE NEWSLETTER TODAY and we'll send you news, views and stamp guides direct to your inbox. It's completely free and we'll never share your data with anyone else.
Find out more about stamp collecting and improve your philatelic knowledge with these stamp guides…
Discover fascinating facts about one of the world's most famous stamps. How many do you know?
Discover more about Britain's short-lived embossed stamps, issued during the reign of Queen Victoria
GB stamps expert Mike Jackson presents an overview of KGV stamps issued in Britain during the collector King’s reign
Find out more about the King George VI brown 2s 6d stamp issued in 1939 as Britain went to war