03 January 2013
Luxembourg Post's newest stamp celebrates the 60th anniversary of the European Court of Justice, established in 1952. ...
The 0.85 Euro stamp shows Villa Vauban, the first location of the European Court of Justice, which the town of Luxembourg lent to the Court when it was founded in 1952. Originally named the European Community of Coal & Steel Court of Justice, the Court was moved to the Kirchberg Plateau in the late 1960s.
The Court of Justice was set up to ensure that European Union law is applied equally in all EU member countries. The court has one judge per EU country and also settles disputes between EU governments.
The stamp is inscribed '1952-2012 La Cour de Justice de L'Union Europeen' (The heart of justice in the European Union).
In 1973, the Court moved to new premises at the Palace, with new extensions built to accommodate the growing business of the institution - in 1988, 1993 and 1994. A new complex, built around the original remains of the Palace, was opened in 2008.
For information on the latest stamp and coin issues, see each issue of Stamp & Coin Mart magazine.