26 February 2021
A single stamp from Monaco recalls the speech given by Prince Albert I on 25 April 1921.
One hundred years ago, on 25 April 1921, Prince Albert I gave his Speech on the Ocean at the Smithsonian Museum, in front of the members of the Washington Academy of Sciences.
It was a visionary speech, predicting some of the problems that affect the oceans today, such as the overexploitation of resources caused by new technology – at the time represented by steam trawlers.
During this trip, Prince Albert I was awarded the Agassiz Medal in honour of his significant contribution to oceanography.
- Design and line-engraving: Sophie BEAUJARD
- Printing process: Steel-engraving and offset
- Size of the stamp: 40,85 x 30 mm horizontal
- Quantity of issue: 40 000 stamps
- Sheet of 10 stamps with illuminations