06 January 2021
No peeking! Here are the answers to the philatelic quiz, see how many you got right!
How many did you get right? Find out here with the answers to stamp quiz #1.
Stamp Quiz # 1 Answers
1. Which famous British ship featured on the top value (1s 0d) stamp in the British Ships set issued in January 1969?
- RMS Mauretania
2. Name the QV stamps featured on the set of three stamps issued for the Philympia 1970 Stamp Exhibition in 1970.
- 1d Black of 1840
- 1s Green of 1847
- 4d Carmine of 1855
3. How many stamps were in the GVI Festival of Britain set issued in May, 1951?
Two – the 2½d and the 4d
4. What was the value of the single stamp issued to commemorate the coronation of George VI and Queen Elizabeth in May 1937?
5. In which years were Downey Head stamps issued?
- 1911 and 1912
6. What were the two elements of a Duplex Cancellation?
A date stamp for the cover and an obliterator to cancel the stamp
7. What was the popular name given to reduced size stamps issued in South Africa during World War Two?
8. Which country issued a Twelve Pence Black, and in which year?
- Canada in 1851
9. What is the popular name for the first stamps of Brazil?
- Bull's Eyes
10. During which famous war were ‘OXO’ cancels seen on some British mail?
The Crimean War
Get stamp articles direct to your in-box…
SIGN UP TO THE FREE NEWSLETTER TODAY and we'll send you news, views and stamp guides direct to your inbox. It's completely free and we'll never share your data with anyone else.
Find out more about stamp collecting and improve your philatelic knowledge with these stamp guides…
Discover fascinating facts about one of the world's most famous stamps. How many do you know?
Discover more about Britain's short-lived embossed stamps, issued during the reign of Queen Victoria
GB stamps expert Mike Jackson presents an overview of KGV stamps issued in Britain during the collector King’s reign
Find out more about the King George VI brown 2s 6d stamp issued in 1939 as Britain went to war